Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access NT server from XP Client 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesBirch

Technical User
Apr 20, 2002
GB
Hi

I have just installed Server 2003 on a brand new Server. I have run DCPROMO and installed Active Directory. The clients can connect to this machine with no problems and everything seems to be working fine.

However I have an old NT Server that is running in its own NT Domain on the same cabling system that I need some clients to be able to access it for a period of time.

Clients seem to be able to see this machine on the network and ping it (all of the clients are running XP SP1 or 2) but access to files is painfully slow and causes the client to crash occasionally.

I have not set up any network trusts.

I have not set up a Computer in Active Directory for the NT Server. I’m not sure if this is necessary or not, nor have I changed any permissions on the NT Server.

Is there something that I need to setup on the new Server or the NT Server to overcome this problem?

Regards

Jules

I think it is more of a client issue than a server issue. I assume you still have wins running so first I would flush the wins and wait a day to see if it clears up. If not then add a lmhosts or hosts file to the clients who still need to connect to the nt4 box..

Mike

Hi

There is no WINS running. I will check out the hosts file on the client

Regards

Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back