Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Access First Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkwaters

Programmer
Feb 16, 2003
GB
I distribute Crystal reports 8.5 on a number of different SQL databases, mainly these are SQL2000 databases. However one database is SQL7. Using the crystal viewer (in SQL 7) if any fields in the record set are null the error message "unable to access first record" is returned. The application the crystal viewer is used within is built in Access 97. All SQL2000 databases are fine.

I have many reports so using the isnull function is not really practical, I was hoping there was a database setting, Crystal setting or a bit of code that I could use.

I have the convert null fields to default value checked within the report designer.

The only solution I can find is setting the cursor in the code, this however has proved unsuccessful.

Any suggestions would be great

Odd one, check these with regards to cursors:

What connectivity are you using?

What happens if you point the report from within the designer to the SQL 7 database?

I'd try the CR ODBC for SQl Server, and then try the OLE DB, it may help.

I wouldn't think that a setting would cause this, but try DTSing an offending table from 2000 to 7 and test against it, it should preserve the nullability settings in the table to test for this.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back