Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access BIOS - Compac nc4010

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblehill

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
FI
Hello! I have a compaq nc4010 laptop which is driving me nuts. I can't enter it's bios. The startup menu tells me to hit F10. It doesn't do anything. I've tried typical keys like F2, F12, Del and Esc, no luck. So how do I enter setup?

Oh, never mind. I'm not really familiar with hardware so I dod not know, that sometimes you can't hit the setup key in advance, if the delay at startup is set 0 seconds. Well, this computer model made it clear to me. I remoced the disk with the operating system and was able to access bios. OMG, am I stupid or what? I need to consider early retirement. :)

Compaq has their bios entry on most machines set for the [F10] while the cursor is in the upper right corner.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

noblehill, no, you are not stupid. Some laptops, like my Asus M6N, have a very tight window for getting into BIOS so the PC starts faster. Nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Could this be one of the machines that only allows BIOS access on cold boot? Can't recall if it was Compaq or another manufacturer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back