Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

un-mount usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

asm1

Technical User
Oct 9, 2003
GB
Hi all,
Now that I have finely got the usb flash stick mounted(thread619-769729) my question is can I just unplug the device or should I use some un-mount command, the reason I am asking is when I unplug the device the files stay in the /mnt/usb directory, I am using RH9.
Thx

The tougher it gets the more you learn! The more you learn the tougher it gets!

Did you try 'umount /mnt/usb'?

----
JBR

Always unmount before remving media-- flopies/cd/flash. a simple unmount <path> should work.

i have tried the umount but didnt seem to work
can u explain a simple unmount <path>
thx

Please explain &quot;didn't work&quot;. Usually you can unmount (the reverse of mount) a device either by device or by location (path). e.g when you mounted your flash drive with

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

you can:

1)umount /mnt/usb (by location)
2)umount /dev/sda1 (by device)

make sure that your current path is not within /mnt/usb and also make sure that any window or application is not accessing /mnt/usb.

that could be the problem. i had a window open as i was going to watch it happen. i will try again
thx for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back