Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Un explainable security issue with user rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsmhe

Technical User
Jul 14, 2004
BE
I've had a seurity issue wich I cannot explain. One of the users had domain admin rights through out the whole network but he was not a member of any security group which had that much rights. 2nd,when this user opened another users mailbox in outlook it showed in the system manager that this mailbox was opened by administrator. I triple checked the user's group memberships and login. I finally got the problem resolved but not explained.
Solution:They use roaming profiles. Disabled roaming profile for this user, renamed the local profile, logged in again a the user, logged out, renamed the profile back to the original name and enabled roaming profiles. Problem was then gone.

Does anyone have an explanation for this??

MCSA/MCSE 2000, MCSA 2003

Think I found the answer. XP used the stored password list to connect to the resources. For some reason the admin account was added in this list, so the user had full control over everything. Deleted the admin account in the list and disabled stored password in GPO

MCSA/MCSE 2000, MCSA 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back