Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UMTS Handover procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanbrennan1

Technical User
Mar 24, 2011
US
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me with a couple of UMTS Handover questions below that I can’t seem to get the answers to. I have been trawling 3GPP RANAP/GMM/GSM specs but to no avail unfortunately.

My questions are regarding Control Plane messages seen on the IuPS interface.

1.Is there any message or IE on the IuPS interface which can be used to identify whether a Routing Area Update (RAU) is Intra-SGSN or Inter-SGSN based? Based on information in RAU Request message or any other message which could be used to make this distinction?

2. Is there any message or IE on the IuPS interface that can be used to identify whether an SRNS relocation is Intra-SGSN or Inter-SGSN based? Based on information in Relocation required message or any other message which could be used to make this distinction?

3. Is there any message or IE on the IuPS interface that can be used to identify whether an Inter-RAT handover is UMTS->GSM CS or UMTS->GSM PS based? Based on perhaps Source/Target ID IE in Relocation required message or any other message which could be used to make this distinction?

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back