Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UltraVNC Installation Password problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfordjj

MIS
Jul 23, 2003
US
We're trying to find a good way to distribute UltraVNC out to our site in order for us to easily connect remotly with the users. The automated install packaging system that comes with UltraVNC works very well, except for one thing. Upon installation, it keeps telling us that there is no computer password and insists upon immediatly asking for the password.

This has two problems: 1st - We need a silent install. 2nd - I don't want the user to know the password.

Any ideas about how we can silence this problem? The automated installer doesn't seem to have a switch to set this password.

Here is the silent install file:

[Setup]
Lang=en
Dir=C:\Program Files\UltraVNC
Group=UltraVNC
NoIcons=0
Components=server,server\driver,dsm,repeater
Tasks=installservice,startservice,acl,properties
AclFile=..\..\DOCUME~1\%username%\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-CHOBB.tmp\acl.txt
PropertiesFile=..\..\DOCUME~1\%username%\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-CHOBB.tmp\props.reg

Thanks!!

Can you not add the password to the props.reg file?

When you enter a password manually it is stored in the registry (in encrypted form) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default\Password.

(Other 'per user' settings are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3.)

We use RealVNC instead of UltraVNC but the auto-installation process is probably the same or very similar. I just install manually once, make the changes I want (password, shared usage, cannot change settings, etc.) then copy the registry settings to the REG file used by the auto-installer.

Hope this helps...

I tried putting the reg key HKCU\SOFTWARE\ORL\Default\Password with a regedit before the install ran, but no luck.

I finaly got ahold of a MSI packager and did it that way. This was really win-win. Got UltraVNC to install silently AND got to learn to use WISE installer!!

This is the first I've heard about a props.reg file. I'll have to see what I can do with it.

If you tried putting the password in before the install ran then it's probable that the install itself nulled the password by overwriting the whole registry key.

Glad you got it sorted in the end, even if by a different method.

That's what I figured, but couldn't figure out how to NOT have UltraVNC ask for the password the moment it finished installing.

Thanks for responding to my message!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back