Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ultimate Free NEC CDR SMDR Logger - I want your opinion! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortKnox

Technical User
May 10, 2004
US
There is a simple and cheap way to do CDR / SMDR on the NEC. I had Tapit, and hated it. If you need fancy reports, this might not be for you. If you just need it for auditing, this might be just what you need.
I do this method, and it works great for me!

Here is the basics of it:
(1) Setup your SMDR on the NEC to dump to "LAN" port 6000.
(2) Use Putty and telnet to port 6000.
(3) Setup Putty to write to file.

I use a scheduled task to restart putty at Midnight to start a new file.

So in PuttyPlus I created a profile called "NEC-MAIN" with the following parameters
IP is set to IP of my NEC, Telnet, port 6000.
Session Logging: All Output, Always Append to the end of it, and the log file name is "&Y_&M_&D.log" (variables set the name of the log files such that you can sort them by YEAR/MONTH/DAY).
So when it writes the file, the filename is something like: 2017_11_02.log

To have separate files for each day, you'll need to restart Putty. I used Windows task scheduler for this.
In my scheduled task, I have 2 actions:
Start a Program: taskkill /f /im puttyplus.exe (kills putty)
Start a Program: c:\puttyplus -load nec-main (nec-main is the name of the Putty profile I created in Putty) (starts putty and generates a new file)

For viewing the files, I like to use Notepad++ - a lot cleaner looking than Windows Notepad.

Enjoy!
I would like to know if you find this helpful, so please leave feedback!

Thanks. I'm going to test this out.

Why not use hyperterminal instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back