Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uh Oh- Onboard Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boolman

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
US
I have an Aptiva 2170 MB (803)(win 98) with an Sis 530 onboard video card that saps its memory directly from the system memory...Currently the setting is 8M, I would like it to be more(16 at least), but can't figure it out. I have upgraded the bios, because thats where the setting for mem is (currently only 4 and 8). I have also tried to go to the device settings with the full intention of modifying the hex mem settings, but it wouldn't let me (thankfully probably...I was frustrated at that point). Any Ideas?

Hi...
ah yes the joys of onboard video, It will usually reserve 1mb of ram and then dynamically use as much as necessary depending on how intense the video is on that particular application, you can try putting in another video card, then change settings in bios for the pci slot, depending on motherboard manufacturer, there maybe some different drivers for the video.
hope that helps
Davidianmage

I have have PC Chips 598LMR mobo with the sis530 chipset and as far as I know it 8Mb is the max you will get from it, says right in the manual for it 8Mb AGP video. To be honest i have swithed off the onboard sound and the video as they really just slow the system to a crawl and the video is deplorable. get your self a dedicated video card I would say and forget onboard stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back