Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ufsdump/ufsrestore corruption errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgswong

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hi all,

I'm trying to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to do system backups but without much success. I put the system into single user mode and run for example (as root, in /):

ufsdump 0afblou /var/log/homelogs/fsbkup.toc /dev/rmt/0c 512 /export/home

This seems to work fine as I get no errors. However, when I try to do a restore it simply wont work giving me 'bad entry: incomplete operations'. It builds back the directory structure but does not restore any files. The command for restore that I use is

ufsrestore rabfv /var/log/homelogs/fsbkup.toc 512 /dev/rmt/0c

What am I missing here? Also, I know it's recommended to go into single user mode but can this be avoided, or automated somehow for my backup user.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

wongyc2K:

You are using rabfv: "a" is only for a table of contents listing from an archive file instead of from the media (dev/rmt/0c). This is not necessary, nor should you put the name of the toc file.

Try using "ufsrestore rbvf 512 /dev/rmt/0c". Put the "f" last.

Single user mode is important for "system files". If there are no users on the system, this is not necessary - for example /export/home filesystem.

Al
Al

sunman,

Thanks! This seems to have worked as all the test files are fine, but just one thing. After all the files are extracted, at the end of the restore I get the following message:

Add links
Set directory mode, owner, and times.
Check the symbol table.
Check pointing the restore

Is this normal and just verbose from using the 'v' option? I assume it is since I tried it without the 'v' option and got no messages but just wanted to make absolutely sure. Thanks again.

- Stuart

sunman,

Thanks! This seems to have worked as all the test files are fine, but just one thing. After all the files are extracted, at the end of the restore I get the following message:

Add links
Set directory mode, owner, and times.
Check the symbol table.
Check pointing the restore

Is this normal and just verbose from using the 'v' option? I assume it is since I tried it without the 'v' option and got no messages but just wanted to make absolutely sure. Also, I get an extra file 'restoresymtable' What purpose does this file serve and is it safe to delete? Thanks.

- Stuart

yep, this is normal ...

you always want to restore everything exactly the same?

you can use the i option for interactive mode (you can cd/ls/add/extract) specific files, and asks you if you want to change the mode and stuff like that ...

we don't go into single user mode for backups (except a level 0 backup) and do incremental (1->5) for monday to friday without going to single user mode ...

we do this at 11pm when noone in their right mind is still in the building (so little use of file system) and backup all partitions ...

the system files won't change (but logs might) and peoples home directorys will have had miscelaneous rubbish and emails put in them, so nothing of essential system integrity will be backed up while being accessed ... either way if it's not being accessed then there is no problem either way ...

hope some of this makes sense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back