Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UFSdump questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
I have a couple of UFSDump questions:

1) Can I dump a filesystem (ie /opt) while its mounted?
2) Do I have to be in single usermode to do ufsdumps?
3) Can I do a ufs dump on Solaris 8, and reinstall the os, and restore the filesystem (ie /opt) on Solaris 9?

TIA!

1. Yes.
2. No, but shutdown any databases etc. The system should be as quite as possible whilst doing the ufsdump.
3. I don't see why not, unless others know differently.

Mag0007
1) Yes you can ufsdump a filesystem while it is mounted. If you want to capture just /opt, /opt must be in a separate partition.

2) No you don't have to be in Single User Mode, you must be root to ufsdump /opt.

3) Not a good idea since the stuff that normally goes into /opt are application packages. When you install applications, not all the files goes into /opt. There is a good chance your applications will not work.

thanks for the quick responses.

I am doing this.

su -
cd /tmp
ufsdump 0 /opt

It has completed, where is the image located now?

There is a good question... Do you have a tape drive? If so, try command "ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0 /opt". Eject the tape using command "mt -f /dev/rmt/0 offline".

nope, no tape drive...

just a regular hdisk

Then you have to use command "ufsdump 0uf /directory/<filename>".

okay...

what about the restore now?

Lets say I want to restore it at: /tmp/optfs/

Go to the directory where you want the restore...

ufsrestore -rf /tmp/optfs
rm restoresymtable

Can't believe I wrote quite above when I meant quiet! That said, I'm pretty sure that you can dump /opt on it's own even if it's part of the / filesystem. I'll check it out on Monday.

Mag0007,

"...
I am doing this.
su -
cd /tmp
ufsdump 0 /opt
It has completed, where is the image located now?
..."

Did you expect the dump file at /tmp?. Note that /tmp is volatile, content will be wiped out upon reboot...
Your above command will create the dump file at /dev/rmt/0 (the default tape device).
As you donot have tape drive then a file would be created as /dev/rmt/0.

Check man pages for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back