Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ufsdump question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornetbloke

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
NL
As someone who's not had to use ufsdump before I'm a little confused. On reading the manpage it says that filesystems should be unmounted before a level 0 dump is done although what happens if I need to dump the root partition on a critical server that cannot be brought down?
Does anyone here do level 0 dumps on a mounted partition and what is their feedback on this solution? Am I better off just using tar/cpio?
All comments gratefully appreciated.

We do ufsdumps at level 0 on mounted filesystems (but with Oracle shutdown) and I have never had a problem restoring the resulting save to our test box. Having a quick read through the man page, I can't see any reference to unmounting the filesystem to be dumped - I wouldn't have thought the dump could be made if you did. Are you thinking of the recommendation to go to single user for level 0 dumps. If so, we don't do that either! Others, however, might have different experiences.....

HTH.

Weird, I had meant to write single user but had unmount in my head for some strange reason.
Thanks a lot for the info, that helps me out a lot.

Strange that, King Charles I had a similar experience, but found his head unmounted before he could do anything about it ;-)

Glad to have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back