Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ufsdump DLT tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelo23

Technical User
Jan 19, 2004
US
Hello,

I need to Delete a single file off of one of my DLT Ufsdump tapes.... Is this possible...?? The file had to be removed from our systems because security issues... But the file still remains on my ufsdump tapes.... I didn't want to have to Erase the entire Tape if I didn't have to, just incase a sudden system crash etc.... Wondering if there is a way to DELETE A SINGLE File from ufsdump DLt Tape....?

Thanks

You cannot remove a single file from within a ufsdump.
Is the file so secure that all copies must be eliminated rather than stored securely?

You could always perform regular backups, thus resuing the tapes and eliminating the problem by making a anew ufsdump. FWIW: a ufsdump on tape is referred to (in technical terms) as a file. Thus if you delete a file on a tape, it's an entire ufsdump file.

s/reusing/resuing/
.. sorry.. fingers got behind the thought stream for a bit there...

You could restore the backup to a 'safe' area, delete the offending file, ufsdump from the safe area to the same tape and then delete from the safe area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back