Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UDP Winsock troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perilous1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2005
US
Does anyone happen to know if the ConnectionRequest section of Winsock applies to UDP at all, or is it just for TCP?

I have set my code to allow a connection request to be passed to the next available winsock array, but I can't think of a way to test it. I've tried triggering a MsgBox and text boxes assigned to incrementing integers to try to display something that can alert me as to which array socket is being used, but nothing ever triggers.

Any suggestions on this would be very much appreciated.

Its applies to TCP connections only.

UDP requires you to bind your local port. When this happens you become more of a passive listener.

data can be sent to your port and that comes in on the data arrival event.

When you use UDP, their is no need to have multiple connections. UDP by nature is connection-less.

This is very good to know.

However, what happens if UDP receives mass amounts of incoming data nearly simultaneously from multiple sources? Is there a buffer that will hold data before passing it along to the bound port, or is the data simply lost if the port is busy when it arrives.

My concern here is that if I have 50 clients for one server all using UDP, what is the risk of lost packets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back