Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UDP ports for network-regions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott99

Technical User
Feb 26, 2002
GB
Can anyone tell me what range of udp ports should be open for any given network-region. I do not want to open too many UDP ports and if I choose a 100 can it be any range?

Thanks

It can be any range that you want. By default it is 2048 through 65535. I would narrow that down some, but as a rule of thumb, I never use ports that are used by other applications.

Check out this link to see what software used what ports. Pick an open block and you'll be fine.

There are a variety of answers here. If you have a Cisco Network and the network engineer set up QoS with the Cisco defaults then the UDP port range will start at 16484 and go up from there. You need to have a minimum of 129 ports. Coordinate with the network engineers. Also look at the QoS parameters for DSCP and COS. The defaults may not be what you want.

James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back