Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCx Voicemail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORPG

MIS
Jul 17, 2014
US
Folks, I have a UCx 50 with analog POTS lines. I have one extension (225)with VM, that I have programmed into a ring group (600). The phone will be able to receive calls for about 15 minutes and then will revert to the user's voicemail box. Nothing has been forwarded and I looked at the "presence" on the Polycom 300 quick setup (shows disabled). I can reboot the phone and again in about 15 min incoming calls will go directly to VM and not hit the ring group either. Comments?

Hi ORPG

Can you try another set ?
It sounds like its losing its registration to the UCX.

Owner
Sideline Telephone Service Inc.
Canadian - Reseller

Yes sir, I tried another. Same thing. I thought it was losing registration as well at first. But it comes up fine. I can call other ext's and make outside calls. Just after 15 min reboot, it goes to VM and does not hit the ring group. Until that time, it works fine. I tried pulling it out of all programming and reinstalling. Still broke.

Hi ORPG

Do you have another type of IP phone to try?
Maybe there is some sort of timer setting on the Polycom set.

Owner
Sideline Telephone Service Inc.
Canadian - Reseller

Yes I did. There is a timer, but I disabled it yesterday. However, I just found out that if I take it out of the ring group, the VM issue goes away. I'm getting closer to the problem I think.

SUCCESS! There must have been a glitch in the Ring Group configuration. I deleted the group and rebuilt it and now the problem is gone.

Showed it's ugly self again...only this time, after about 15 min, the caller is pointed to "The person at extension ### is not available". However, that person at extension ### can make internal and external calls, he/she just cannot receive them. If I reboot the phone, it's good for another 15 minutes. Anyone ever heard of this please? BTW...there is not now a problem with the Ring Group.

The cause of this problem is that UCx Server does not receive responses to SIP messages that it sends to the phone(s). After the phone initially registers with UCx, the SIP stack in UCx periodically sends the SIP OPTIONS message to each registered phone to determine if the phone is still alive. If no response is received several times, UCx assumes the phone is dead/gone/disconnected. At that point, calls to the associated extension are routed to voicemail.

To determine if the phone is considered "ok" or "unreachable", you can either
a) look at the Operator Panel page (orange = ok, yellowish = unreachable), or
b) go to PBX - Tools - Asterisk CLI and issue the command "sip show peers" - look at the Status column

Now, there can be several reasons why SIP phones would not successfully reply to OPTIONS messages. The most common one is a router between UCx and the SIP phone(s) that has the SIP ALG feature enabled (SIP ALG does not usually forward responses to OPTIONS messages to UCx for some reason). The solution is to turn off SIP ALG. If you don't have a router between UCx and SIP phones, the problem is usually a misconfigured LAN.

Hey UCXGuy thank you! The UCX works through a customer LAN so I am in contact with their IT guy. Will let you know the end result. Thanks again.

Thanks UCXGuy! Customer's IT guy found he had two DHCP servers causing the problem. Also, the phones did not have the latest upgrades. Best to ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back