Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCx Digital gateway into BCM50

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukane123

Technical User
Feb 12, 2020
CA
I recently picked up a second-hand BCM50 to play around with in the lab... or at least what I thought was a BCM50. When I booted it up, the fan shut off shortly after, and I suspected something was up. I opened up the chassis and found a UCx SSD installed.

I put a multi-image hard drive in and installed BCM50 R3 software, which installed fine, but now in Element Manager I am being asked to change the default nnadmin password after I sign in, and EM remains stuck on this "password change" page. I am wondering if the transition to the UCx SSD might have altered some sort of firmware or motherboard component...

Does anyone know if there is anything else I have to do to get this unit back into a fully-functioning BCM50, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks,
Matteo

I would have selected the BCM release 6.0 image as it has more features.
Anyway, don't worry about that at this stage as there are ways to overcome that.

In any event, you will require keycodes.

I think your password problem is because you haven't minimised the Element Manager application after you entered in the new password which can be the default one again!.

Another small window will then be visible to allow you to renter the password again.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

After you enter the password press "tab" instead of "enter".
See if that works.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I was able to change the password by pressing tab instead of enter. Thanks curlycord!

The chassis fan still stops running a couple minutes after I power the BCM up and does not come back on again. Is this something to be concerned about? Also, I was hoping to be able to install R6 but I was only given the option to install R1, R2 or R3 when I initialised the multi-image drive.

Matteo

Yes it is normal, the temp gauge on the mobo turns down the fans rpm when the room temp is normal.

Remember the BCM I did for you the other week was an R2 or 3 and that I had to install an Upgrade keycode so you could then load the R6 software.
You cannot just select any image and have it work proper.

I hope you created an image of the multi-image.
When you use a Multi Image HD you need to specify the original software that the BCM had in it.
Once it loads the correct image you chose it then automatically deletes the other images to make room on the HD.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Right. I did make an image of the multi-image and chose R3 to install because the label on the back of the chassis said the system was originally R3.

Matteo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back