Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UC Advanced Client will not connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2012
US
I am trying to figure out what is happening with our UC client. We are running in a 08 R2 terminal server environment with 4 terminal servers that are load balanced. We started using this software running version 3.0 and had issues with the client randomly going offline. It was determined that the servers needed to be updated as 3.0 wasn't fully supported in terminal service. So the phone vendor updated everything and we installed version 5.0 on the terminal servers. Worked perfect... for admins.... when a normal users tries to log in they are presented a messaged that states the server could not be contacted after they enter in the username and password. I can ping it's IP and the FQDN pings fine as well while logged in as a user. if i do a run as and use a admin account while logged in as a user it works fine.

Restrictions on users are basically that they can not install programs or have access to the admin functions on the servers.

Thoughts??

We had a site where roaming profiles were used. When one of the roaming profiles were used to log in the UCA could not see the server. If a regular or admin account was used to log in everything was fine. Punted it back to the customers IT people to resolve. What they said they found was that the roaming profiles introduced some type of proxy into the mix which basically screwed up the UCA's ability to see the server via DNS. Not a Microsoft person so not 100% sure what they did. They ran a process monitor to watch the login and that helped they see the UCA was being denied access to the server on log in.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Thanks for that pointer. We have now found that the proxy was indeed blocking the traffic. We have added the IP's to the exception list and it enabled users to get into the application but it is now putting them as offline after a random amount of time. The log shows that it has lost connection with the telephony server and or the UCA server. Put then again ping and DNS resolution is fine. Any thoughts??

Check to see if there's a firewall or ACL involved, in addition to the proxy that you had to work around. I had a high-security site with similar UCA client disconnection symptoms and turns out we needed to enable bi-directional TCP port 80 (HTTP) and TCP 5060 (SIP) (yeah, I know SIP is usually UDP... :) ) through the firewall between phones/clients and servers. MOL has a jpg with the UCA client comms ports, though the UCA docs generally are bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back