Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu support 4 processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coronel

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2005
US
Hi folks.
How are you?

I have a motherboard which has 4 procesors and i'm planning to install linux ubuntu server edition. My question is if ubuntu is able to support or handle 4 processors and how is gonna be the performance?

Any clue about it i'll appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

I would think Ubuntu linux uses the "regular" core linux kernel like every other distribution. I don't know how Ubuntu's install process decides which kernel (smp-enabled or not) to install.

At the heart of the issue, you CAN install the smp-enabled kernel on linux and it will recognize far more than 4 processors.

Does that help?!

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

ubuntu should do fine on intel/AMD multiprocessor environment. If you use ALpha, PowerPC or other chipset then you will need to look at a proper Debian installation, which I recommend anyway instead of ubuntu if you are using linux as a server. Less little graphic applets, way more community support and programs.

Cheers

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back