Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu, start up error, Help? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawthorne

Technical User
Jun 18, 2010
Hi

I'm totally new to Ubuntu so I created a Ubuntu Live DVD to try it out.

When I try to boot to it it starts the process I get the Ubuntu screen with the flashing dots, and then I get this flashing message.

"2: DVI-D Can not display this Mode."

Anyone know what this means and what I have to do to get past this point? I'm guessing it has something to do with the video but I don't have a clue what it means or what I should do about it.

I have a new computer running Windows 7 HP 64.
I have an ATI 5870 video card with the latest drivers installed. I have it set up to display on my Dell 24" monitor, but it is also connected to my HD TV via a DVI connection, this connection is not in use all the time, only when I go into control panel and select it.

The Ubuntu disk is 32 bit because that is what the web site I downloaded it from recommended.

I don't have a clue about Ubuntu, but I want to check it out and this seemed like a good way to do it without installing it on my computer.

Mike

Hi

Thanks for the help I should have thought of unplugging the DVI cable myself.

I'll give it a try, I ran a search for the message, ("2: DVI-D Can not display this Mode.") and, didn't find anything.

This would indicate that this isn't a common problem that has been worked through.

But maybe it is as simple as disconnecting the cable.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back