Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu Install under 2gbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresanus

Technical User
Oct 7, 2007
US
I'd like to install ubuntu to a 2g EEE Surf PC. Since the hard drive is under 2gbs I am wondering if there are any ISO files out there that are not loaded with any games or unnecessary apps.

Anybody know of one? Or any possible way to cut down the install prior?

I can either install via external cd-rom or usb flash (4g lol bigger than my hard drive!)

I would prefer to load the OS directly on my hard drive.

Thanks!

Not sure you're going to get Ubuntu under 2 GB, but I'd check the Ubuntu website. There are other Linux distros that can get that small, especially if you can live without a GUI.

Take a look at DSL (Damn Small Linux) it will even install at under 50mb...

How to install Ubuntu on low memory systems (Pentium III and earlier machines, with 32-192 MB RAM).

Disk Space Requirements

Disk space on an absolutely minimal installation can be reduced to as little as 600 MB. A fresh and clean command-line system of Ubuntu 8.04 generally takes only 450 MB, although there will be minor variations on account of hardware differences. If you have only 64 MB of memory, you will need to reserve more disk space for swap.
excerpt from the above link...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

ARG!! sorry to freak out, but sometimes precision in computer science is important.... "GB" please for disk space in gigabytes, "Gbps" for gigabits per second for network throughput.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Thanks Ben, I will take a look at those links. The help.ubuntu one looks very helpful. I think I was just restricting myself to the UbuntuEEE OS that was released specifically for EEEpcs.

Being new to linux I am weary to tread too far off the shore!

Howtos for many distributions... and I've installed a persistent Ubuntu 8.04 on a 2 GB flash drive, so yeah, it's possible to keep it under 2 GB. Comes in at about 1.8 right after default install (before you remove games, etc).

Ben
Windows isn't the answer; it's the question. NO is the answer.

Or maby considder something like this:
First do a minimal install from the alternate CD, but then not
go the Gnome way as in the example.
Insted do an
sudo apt-get install xfce4
this will give you the XFCE4 system (Xubuntu)
which will take less space than a normal Ubuntu install, be
faster and give you an environment much like Gnome.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back