Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu - How do I install Wireless USB Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavm99

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I have installed Ubuntu for the first time.

I have a Zyxel G260 USB Wireless Adapter. I want to use this to connect to my WLAN. Within the Device Manager I can see the device (I think) as I have one listed as Unknown (0x3408) and below this it says USB Wireless Interface. When I click on this I can see in the right hand pane it has picked up the fact it is a Zyxel device. Within Networking though I can't see my device so I am guessing it is not properly installed.

As I'm new to Linux & Ubuntu I don't know how would do the equivalent of 'Update Driver' in Windows.

Can anyone tell me (with a dummies style guide) how I get my device properly installed?

Can I use this device ok in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

Ubuntu Dummie.

Have you tried the Wireless Assistant? I use a Linksys USB wireless card and it found it and used it immediately. However, it was not enabled by default. I had to use the Wireless Assistant to enable it.

To make sure it's connected, use...

sudo ifconfig
(similar to windows ipconfig)

Mark

Hi,

As I am new to Ubuntu I am using the graphical interface rather than the command line. Within the GUI I can't see a Wireless Assistant, only the Networking section off Administration.

However I switched to the command prompt and used your command, this found only my loopback adapter of 127.0.0.1

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Try this from a command prompt...
"sudo wlassistant"
(remove the quotes of course)

If you get some X error, type "sudo cp ~/.Xauthority /root" the try the above again. For some resaon, Ubuntu is not set up to share X sessions with root.

You could also just look for it.
"which wlassistant"
should return "/usr/bin/wlassistant" if it's installed.

You may not have it installed. Use the following to install it. "sudo apt-get install wlassistant"

I don't use Gnome, but I think there's an Add/Remove Programs somewhere in the menu. You could install the Wireless Assistant from there if you like the GUI better.

Mark

Hi,

I have located the Wireless LAN Assistant in Add Programs but it will not allow me to install it. It says The Application might not support your system architecture.

Is this because it can't see my WLAN device as I need the driver? Or can I not to it on my PC at all?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a further update. I have swapped the Zyxel adapter for a 3Com one. The 3Com one now shows as a connection within Networking and I can even see my router. I have entered my key and set it to DHCP but it will not connect.

This is progress as the device reports ok in Device Manager, however I still can't install the wireless assistant as I still get the unsupported error.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Maybe try...
sudo apt-get -f install wlassistant

Seems odd. Which version of Ubuntu are you using? Specific to KDE, but the knetworkmanager package might work.

Have you tried it without wep? Have you restarted the network interface (wlan0 probably) after adding your key?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back