Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ubuntu gnome - live cd / custom menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbradford

Technical User
Dec 14, 2007
GB

I would like to remove the Menu Bar From the menu which if done through the GUI is easy , however i am looking to do this through a shell where are the settings stored for this i can't seem to find them anywhere.

Also it would be useful to know where the menu settings are stored as i want to copy them from one of my PC's to Another.

anyone gnome expert ?

They're likely kept inside the .gnome2 folder in your home directory. Once I messed up my menu, because my wine was acting weird and so I had two different "Wine" menus in my Applications menu, and so I edited the menus to merge them together and then delete the old one. Apparently when you delete something from the menu, your settings just mark that you've deleted it, so when I installed a new Wine app, it put it into the old Wine folder that I deleted and I couldn't figure out how to undelete it and it was a mess.

So I deleted my whole .gnome2 folder and logged back in and my panels and menus were back to their defaults.

Also poke around in gconf-editor, under /apps/panel, that's where you can see info about your panel setup. There's a command-line tool for editing your gconf settings, but use the GUI to see how things are laid out.

Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Code:
perl -e '$|=$i=1;print" oo\n<|>\n_|_";x:sleep$|;print"\b",$i++%2?"/":"_";goto x;'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back