Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubuntu chosing "wrong" wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarlH

Programmer
Jul 26, 2002
SE
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my mothers laptop. (Windows died and couldn't resurrect.)

I've got everything up and running. The main problem right now is that the computer tries to connect to one the neighbors' wireless network when started... Means my mother is asked for that network's password. (And she calls me to tell me that the stupid computer doesn't work when she can't connect...)

As a temporary workaround I renamed my mother's network to AAA, to make sure it will be the first one found. This works just fine.

But the problem is that she is also spending some time at her boyfriend's place, and I can't rename that network.

Can I list a few wireless networks as "default" networks? I.e. when the computer is started connect to one of these (when available), if none of them are there proceed as normal?

this problem should not be happening
It should automaticaly try to connect to a network it has a password for first.

However I have seen from personal experience that NetworkManager on ubuntu can be flaky at best.
it may be worth investigating the alternatives

also depending on your wifi card it may be better to use the madwifi drivers rather than the default kernel modules
(this is certainly the case for the atheros wifi card on my Aspire 1 running fedora)

Thanks for answering. There's currently no password to the network. (MAC authentication at the moment, trying to avoid one more password...)

I'll try to reconfigure modem and computer this weekend.

I'll second Guru. I have a couple Toshibas with Atheros cards. I've always had great luck with madwifi. Worst case you use ndiswrapper with the windows driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back