Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubunthu client - how to join an Active Directory domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceil32

MIS
Apr 8, 2008
IE
I have an Ubunthu 8.10 client with a static IP config on my LAN.

I can ping or RDP to any Windows client or Server from this Ubunthu client

I edited /etc/samba/conf/smb.conf to reflect the domain name

I restarted the machine.

I then issued the following command from a terminal (I also tried numerous variations of it with the same result)

net join -W Domainname -S Domaincontroller

Error message - "error storing domain SID for domainname"

"Enter current user password"

"Unable to join domain domainname"

---------

Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Strange, but the Linux computer account already exists in Active Directory but I didn't create it..

I tried to follow the steps in the link:

1. /etc/samba only contains two files - gdbcommands & smb.conf

2. There were no .tdb files

3. /etc/ntp.con does not exist

I once found the solution to your problem; it was long and drawn-out, and I don't know where the link is.

If you'd like a quick fix though, you might check out Likewise-Open. It's a package that joins Linux to the Active Directory domain very easily. I haven't used it extensively yet but what I have seen of it, it's pretty cool.

Ben
Windows isn't the answer; it's the question. NO is the answer.

When I try and install the likewise file by double clicking it as a normal user, I get the following error:

"The installer requires Root privileges. Become superuser before executing installer"

I then issue sudo from a terminal line and become root, but I can't find the file from the terminal location - the files is physically located on desktop of the named user

Any ideas??

Thanks.

When I try and install the likewise file by double clicking it as a normal user, I get the following error:

"The installer requires Root privileges. Become superuser before executing installer"

I then issue sudo from a terminal line and become root, but I can't find the file from the terminal location - the files is physically located on d

In Ubuntu the Desktop is

/home/$USERNAME/Desktop

Note that Desktop is capitalized.

Ben
Windows isn't the answer; it's the question. NO is the answer.

OK got it extracted from a terminal line

Where do I go from here - can't find the program under the GUI and can't see where it extracted to..

Thanks..

I tried to install Likewise from a command line as follows:

'sudo apt-get install likewise-open-gui'

The following then appears:

"Reading package lists...done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information...done
The following new packages will be installed:
LIKEWISE-OPEN-GUI
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed
Need to get 111kb of archives
Processing triggers for man-db
Setting up LIKEWISE-OPEN-GUI(4.1.2982-0ubuntu)"

-----

It then brings me back to the command line and if I search for Likewise under /opt or anywhere else, nothing else seems to have changed

Can anyone help?

I've managed to get as far as being prompted for AD authentication, but when I rebooted I got the following error:

( I was prompted within Ubunthu to run some updates)

kernel panic - not syncing : vfs : unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)

I know I need to edit /etc/lilo.conf

And include the new kernel details - how can I access this file if the machine won't boot any further that the error message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back