Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ubee Modem to Switch to Bad Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesahead

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2008
We recently upgraded to 20 mbps x 2 mbps Time Warner Cable. It came with an Ubee DDW3611 modem, which has 4 ports; not enough for our small office.

We've switched the modem to router mode and plugged it into a brand new 24-port unmanaged gigabit switch (D-Link DGS-1024D), with Cat-5 running to all office machines; three PCs, ten or so Macs, a network printer, two Airports and our LAN based phone system (and the occasional iPhone). I was clocking 5 mbps to 12 mbps throughout the day on my machine, but the switch seems to be bottlenecking, as we're experiencing regular, intermittent Internet outages. When I plug a laptop directly into the modem, though, I'm clocking 21 mbps, so it's not the connection. I can't imagine it's the switch either, as it's a dumb, unmanaged one, which should be more than capable to handle a 20 mbps connection. My guess is it's the router settings in the modem ? But, I obviously have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back