Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2007
GB
Hi everyone,

I realise a lot has been written about UAC - but I wonder how people are coping with it in the real world. We are just rolling out Vista across our small 100ish user network - and in general I'm pretty happy with it. We keep UAC enabled - but it does cause problems with remote users. They are unable to install personal hardware (printers etc) due to UAC.

Do you guys turn UAC off for remote users?

In general I like what UAC offers - and although it might increase the IT call outs somewhat - I'd rather that than having comprimised systems on the network.

If the remote users are in a remote office (together): Send over a tech/admin guy and have them all fixed in 1 go

If the remote users are all separate (at home): Use remote desktop while they are logged onto the network, and elevation (you know the admin password) to install drivers at the users systems (untested...;-))

HTH
TonHu

Did you see the discussion going on in this thread?

User Account Control: “White List”
thread1583-1438904

As to installing Drivers etc., have you looked at Group Policy settings or Managing Printers?

Read about Manage Printers.

Printers that were installed in Windows XP no longer appear to be installed after you upgrade the computer to Windows Vista

Windows Vista Print Management Step-by-Step Guide

Manage Printers with New Group Policy Features in Windows Server 2003 R2

Computer admin question
thread779-973627

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back