Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

U320 disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NortonES2

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
We've had a lot of these fail in comparison to the previous Ultra3 and Ultra2 disks. Has anyone else noticed the same or have we just been unlucky?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

About half of all my drives are the Ultra 320 (I have over 160 drives in my servers) I have not noticed a higher rate of failure in these drives compared to the Ultra 2 and 3 drives. Personally for me, the late model Ultra 3 drives (especially the 36.4GB 10k RPM drives) seemed to fail a lot. I have replaced six out of fourteen drives from one array. However I do remember seeing an advisory come from HP regarding Ultra 320 drives late last year. You might want to search the HP website to see if you can find it.

Regards,
Ben

not noticed a lot

i dont get many failures - a few on the older scsi 3 36gb's but not too many

no 320's yet

probably have about 500 - 1000 disks all told

Guess we've been unlucky 3 failures out of 12 disks, Ultra 3 disks 5 failures out of approx 500 disks.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back