Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

U.S. Robotics Modems & XP Pro & Cisco VOIP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fentocy

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
I just upgrade my operating system to XP Pro and cannot seem to get any external modems to functions properly. I have tried 2 different external modems and one internal modem. The fax sending to me displays "poor line condition" on its confirmation page. My receiving fax(es) indicates that it are answering, but the handshake never completes. It doesn't even try to send faxes from the computer. I'm at my wits end with this one. We also use Cisco VOIP, but we were using all of these modems prior to the XP upgrade and all were fine. Both external modems installed drivers on XP with no problems. I'm using the Windows Fax Service program for faxing. Any ideas/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Can you hyperterminal to 1-888-296-3892? Do you get a login prompt?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I'm not very familiar with hyperterminal. Can you tell me exactly what to do so I can try what you've suggested and get back to you with the results? Thanks!

search for and run hypertrm.exe, create a connection called test, and dial into that number.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

To launch hyperterminal, go to Start and select Run.
Type hypertrm into the Open: field and click OK. Alternatively, go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications and select Hyperterminal and double-click Hypertrm.exe.

When Hyperterminal starts,type a name for the connection into the Name: field (e.g. "Test"). Use the default icon. Click OK.
To dial a POP, type the area code and phone number of the local access number you usually dial into the Area code: and Phone number: fields respectively. Your modem should be selected in the Connect using: drop-down menu.
The Location: field should be set to your default location.
Click the Modify... and Dialing Properties buttons to check the modem and dialing properties.
After the phone and modem properties have been properly configured, click the Dial button.
You should receive a status message indicating that the modem is dialing. Click Dial Now. The modem should negotiate a connection and the window change to a connection (log on) window.

Matt J.

I followed your instructions and got thru to a log-in prompt. This is what my screen said:

STATION ID - stlmo07rs07rd001,stlmo42ev

Welcome
Please Sign-on:

Any further assistance you can provided is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

That indicates line is good, modem is good.

Problem is with the fax program.

Have a look at this page, you might reinstall the program, also has troubleshooting tips! Good luck.

Matt J.

Well I received a star, did you fix it?

Matt J.

No, it isn't fixed, so I'm going in a different direction now--trying to troubleshoot the software. I have reinstalled and I've even looked at the Fax Properties dependencies to make sure they are all running in auto. Not sure where to go from here, but I still can't send or receive a fax. Any additional guidance/direction you can provide would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like everything you are doing is good. I suggest going down this route.

1. Check for virus/spyware.
2. Apply latest patches and service packs.

Matt J.

Also, if you did an upgrade install, you may simply need to format and do a clean install.

Matt J.

This upgrade was done at my place of employment and they have technology folks who come in and do this overnight. We drop off our computer at 5:00 and pick it up at 8:00. There is an automatic backup program that runs and our information is "migrated" from the old hard drive to the new one, which is running the new operating system. On the "discovery" form, I indicate what programs I need to perform my job and what hardware I am using as well. They installed the fax service program, but the rest is left to me when I get my machine back home at my desk. So, other than reinstalling Fax Service, which I did already, there is not a lot I am at liberty to change. We are not using SP2. I am connected to Novell servers, as well as Windows. One of our onsite tech folks is trying to help me with this and, so far, we have determined that the only phone in the office that will send faxes is a dedicated phone line that does not go thru the VOIP system. That's why I figure it must be the VOIP, or some settings in the new XP operating system that I don't have properly set.

But it worked fine on these lines with ME?

Matt J.

We didn't use ME; we used 2000. But, yes, it worked fine on all machines prior to moving to XP.

Sorry, don't know where I came up with ME... Maybe a different thread.

Anyways this is strange. You can do faxing on a regular line, but no problems with the voip lines until the os changed. Let me know if you discover anything else.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back