Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

:u parameter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolynh

Programmer
Feb 13, 2004
US
Could someone tell me what this command/parameter is used for? I am trying to document some Progress code and this is used a lot and I was just wondering what it does. Is it some type of Undo reference? Some of the code looks like this:

"If Return-Value = "Cancelled":u then"
OR
assign vNote = ""
vFlatChar = tuWork.CustNum + " ":u + tuWork.Memo.

It means not to translate what is in quotes, it is for people who work with other languages. You would want to translate things like column labels and other text that is displayed to the user. Sometimes you don't want the text to be translated so you use :U so it won't get translated. An example would be if you are using the word "fixed" in your code, like saying if vText = "fixed" then do. If "fixed" were to be translated, then your code would break.

It's not a bad practice to get into using :U on stuff you don't want translated because you never know when your application might be used by another language and everything will still work, no problems. Then again, if you stay with USA English then not using it won't cause any problems.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back