Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TZ170 Wan Failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozmokramer

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
US
I have a Sonicwall TZ170 currently with Sonic Standard OS 3.04. I would like to setup a WAN failover to a different ISP using the OPT port.

I realize that I have to upgrade to the Sonic Enhanced OS to facilitate the WAN failover but I was reading in the Enhanced Admin Guide that the WAN failover will not work if using Transparent mode on the LAN interface. Could someone explain to me why that is?

I would be using two different ISP's so the subnets for each interface would be different. Is it because both subnets have to be NAT'd in order for the TZ170 to deal with the interfaces?

I could NAT one side (failover) but I would like to keep the transparent side (LAN) as is. Maybe there is another solution????

I would really like to avoid re-addressing my LAN side if possible.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to re-address your LAN side.

We set this up and could never get it to work properly when VPN was involved. The tunnels would not come back up automatically and/or the failover did not work properly among other things..

We are currently in the process of abandoning the TZ170's in favour of another vendor's solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back