Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Typing on a downloaded PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

adunham

Vendor
Apr 2, 2005
US
Just downloaded a PDF (grant application) from the Phoenix.gov website and would like to fill in the form as it is right now. When I move the hand over the fill-in areas, it does not convert to a typing cursor...is there any way to do this? I know I've filled in PDF's before...

thanks in advance,

-aaron

That depends if the creator of the document made the spaces forms for filling in on the computer. If the pdf was not created that way, it cannot be filled in with the type tool.

A way to fill in the form as though it had been done online is to use MS Publisher (or other program that lets you position frames of text). Use a ruler on the printed PDF, measure where you need to print info, then create frames in a blank document with the text for the form. Print the text in the frames, hold it up to the light on the printed form, note corrections, adjust frames, repeat until the framed text lines up just right on the form. Then put the printed form in the printer, and print the text right on it. I did this for a California Court form (Trial by declaration), including a traffic diagram I did in Paint, and got my ticket rescinded. It's not super quick, but can produce professional looking results. Good luck!

Fred Wagner
KQ6Q@arrl.net

Thanks for the help...I actually ended up opening the PDF in Photoshop, then typing the text where it needed to be. The downside of course is typing paragraphs; you have to create a text box for each line of the paragraph, then move them into position to make them appear as though they were wrapped...

Glad you got it done. The advantage with the Publisher solution is that it does provide text wrapping and image sizing. More than one way to solve the problem!

Fred Wagner
KQ6Q@arrl.net

You can also print out the form, scan it into Omnipage so you have edittable text, take it into, say, Pagemaker, fill in the areas you want...output again to .pdf and send it off. Omnipage is an awesome program as long as you have good, strong copy to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back