Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Types of Memory??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalcross

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
US
What are good types of memory for the motherboard of asus?

Motherboard "brand" is not so much an issue for many top manufacturers such as Asus. Instead, focus on getting quality memory from a vendor who guarantees compatibility backed by a free return/exchange policy.

Good memory brands include Micron ( Kingston, and Corsair. A good site to find low prices is (just be sure to stay away from "house" or "generic").

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

The reason I ask is because I heard that a brand by the name of Buffalo had problems with an Asus motherboard. And when I choosed a memory type thats fair in price with ECC and its Regestered is actually Bufflao. I dont want to end up wasting money and time to send it back. I am getting 2 sticks to get a gig of RAM. That is my major concern about it.

Just make sure you don't end up getting memory that runs at a bus speed that is faster than your motherboard.

I bought an ASUS A7V333 motherboard with a bus of 333 MHz. Had I bought the DDR RAM that's set for a speed of 400 MHz, then I would have wasted my money. RAM that's set for 333 MHz is what I needed.

You should do the same check (i.e. bus speed on motherboard should match, or should be higher than, the RAM speed you buy!)

Kingmax is a great brand, and could probably get it with a lifetime warranty.

NaiDanac

If you go with one of the 3 brands I posted above and buy from a vendor who has a good return/exchange policy, you'll be fine. I've used all 3 brands in many recent boards from Asus, Abit, and MSI not to mention many others over the past 6 years. I've never used Buffalo or Kingmax, so I can't vouch for either.

Also, forgot to mention that ECC registered memory will not generally show much benefit on the average desktop PC. It is geared towards the server level where high data/network access is present to help prevent memory dumps and crashes. Just an FYI...

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back