Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type mismatch in open recordset 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadams0173

Technical User
Feb 18, 2005
I'm try to use this expression for my recordset. I get a type mismatch error. I've tried using % instead of * to no avail. Can someone help please. What I would like it to do is if [StencilNumber] is ABC, for it to find *ABC*. Many thanks in advance

Code:
Set db = CurrentDb
Set rs1 = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT Customer, StorageLoc, StencilPartNumber, " _
     & "StencilRev, SLRPartNumber, Date, Comments, " _
     & "NoLongerNeeded" _
     & "FROM tblStencils" _
     & "WHERE (((tblStencils.StencilPartNumber) " _
     & "Like " * " &[forms]![frmfindstencil]![StencilNumber] & " * "));", dbopendynaset)

Dim rs1 As DAO.Recordset

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Use single quotes around a string in a SQL statement.

"Like ' * '" &[forms]![frmfindstencil]![StencilNumber] & " ' * '));", dbopendynaset)

Hope this helps. :)

Check your References...you may need to move the reference to Microsoft DAO 3.x Object Library to a higher priority that the reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.x Library.

If this is not the issue, then you may also try changing the...
Code:
 & "Like " * " &[forms]![frmfindstencil]![StencilNumber] & " * "));",

line to...
Code:
& "Like '*" & [forms]![frmfindstencil]![StencilNumber] & " *'"));",

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick responses.
PHV, my apologies. The Dim rs1 as DAO.Recordset was there I missed coping it by one line.

AnnabelleMarie you got me closer yet but I still get an error. I will see if I can figure it out but you and PHV please feel free to suggest someting else. The error is this:

syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'NoLongerNeededFROMtblStencilsWHERE(((tblstencils.StencilPartNumber)Like'*'32L'*'))'

32L is what I entered to search for. Thanks so much to the both of you for getting me this far.

It's simply a space and quote issue:
Set rs1 = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT Customer, StorageLoc, StencilPartNumber, " _
& "StencilRev, SLRPartNumber, Date, Comments, " _
& "NoLongerNeeded" _
& "[highlight] [/highlight]FROM tblStencils" _
& "[highlight] [/highlight]WHERE StencilPartNumber " _
& "Like [highlight][tt]'*"[/tt] & [/highlight][forms]![frmfindstencil]![StencilNumber] & "[highlight][tt]*'"[/tt][/highlight], dbopendynaset)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Hey denosaur thanks for the response. I get an error Expected end of: Statement error when I change to your suggestions.
Code:
& "Like '*" & [forms]![frmfindstencil]![StencilNumber] & " *'[blue]"[/blue])[red])[/red];",

The debugger goes to the ) in red. If I remove the quotes in blue I'm back to the error I described above.

PHV THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! The spaces and quotes were the problems. Stars around to all who offered assistance and again PHV thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back