Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

type conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirogak

Programmer
Sep 28, 2006
US
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and to Informatica, and looking for your help ...

I have a SQL and related PC Designer question

Running PC 7.1.5, pulling from Oracle 8i and pushing to Oracle 8i

Ok here is the thing:

In Oracle when I create a join between two tables and the join columns have incompatible data types, then Oracle spits out an error and stops the query (ORA-01722)

HERE IS THE QUERY
=================
SELECT
A.LOOKUP_CODE,
A.MEANING
FROM
INV.ITEMS_B I,
APPLSYS.LOOKUP_VALUES A
WHERE
I.ATO_FORECAST_CONTROL = A.LOOKUP_CODE(+)

So the above doesn't work because ATO_FORECAST_CONTROL is a number and LOOKUP_CODE is a String (Varchar2)

However, if I append this line to the above query in the WHERE clause, which simply gives me a subset of the LOOKUP_VALUES table, then I don't get an error ....

AND
A.LOOKUP_TYPE = 'MRP_ATO_FORECAST_CONTROL'

WHY IS THIS SO ... I still have incompatible data types ...

Desginer Question
-----------------
When I try to do the same in Designer, it gives me an error (mapping is INVALID) because of the incompatibility of the join columns. I tried to change the data type for that particular column (ATO_FORECAST_CONTROL) in the Source Qualifier, I still got an error (Invalid mapping). Then I tried to change it in an Expression transformation, so I did. It is valid. I ran it but all rows rejected. I am probably doing something else wrong, which I'll fix.

But here are my two questions
1. Why is Oracle SQL behaving like that (as mentioned above)
2. Should I be using the expression transformation to change the data type

????

Thanks in advance
mirogak

Oracle is using something defined as 'implicit conversion'
To a certain degree it permits the use of incompatible datatypes (like calculation with a char type and a numeric type.)
It is not so generous to allow this in joins.

You can either define a join by casting one of the datatypes to match the other (can be hurtful to performance)
or change the datatype of both fields to a matching one and perform the join after that.

Use the proper INFA function to set the datatype!

Ties Blom

Thanks Blom,

Where would I do the conversion using the proper INFA (assuming this stands for Informatica) function. Should this occur in a separate Expression Transformation?

mirogak,

In that scenario read the sources through 2 seperate Source qualifiers and prior to joining these 2, make sure to use an expression transformation to do the datatype conversion.

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back