Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type Conversion Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

PositiveParrot

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
GB
Hi Can Any Body Help

I Have An Excel 2000 Spreadsheet Which Am Trying To Import Into Access 2000, When I Import It I Get A Lot Of Type Conversion Failure Error, All The Cell Formats Are Set The Same As The Fields In Access To Ether Text Or Numbers with 2dp.

Does Any Body Else Get This Problem, If So How Do You Solve It .

Regards

PP

are you importing into an existing table?

I think I've seen this more when importing into a new table, but what happens is the first field of the first spreadsheet record is '87150' Access will declare this field as a number. Let's say the first field of the second record is 'A1234'. Access WILL NOT insert the second records information because the first value in this database field is a number and that's what Access thinks it is and it's not going to put any characters into an alpha field.

Leslie

Hi,
I'm having the same problem with type conversion errors. Does anyone know the fix for this?
I've got a column of numbers, some are alpha-numeric. I've tried converting the column to text, number, generic etc and nothing works when I try to import the spreadsheet. Any ideas out there?

Thanks a mil..

-Tiffany

Create a fake first row with alphanum well known values.
You'll delete this row in access after the transfer.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back