Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tying to An Avaya Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBarrnes

MIS
Jul 12, 2004
US
I have a building across the street that is on an Avaya switch. If I want to start researching what it would cost to tie the 2 switches together with 4 or 5 digit dialing, what type of things do I need to consider? I understand that the dial plans at each location can not use identical extensions.
What type of circuit would I need to order from the phone company for this and how would I calculate capacity to and from?
Thanks TB

Just a copper connection between the two schools would be fine. If existing then no need for phone company besides maybe to CANCEL some lines as all the lines probably wouldnt be needed, connect them thru analog to c.o. type connections and programm accordingly.

do you have copper or glass? use either for a point to point pri... qsig will let you send names msg lamps, use one mail etc.. if your using 3 digit dn's you could use a single digit steering code between buildings... if you can just go to 4 digit and no duplications.. the a full intergration is best.. with that users do not need to know the location to dial the person and a number could move across the street with a user... much cleaner... analog trunks would work if you only want point to point.. i perfer the pri.. cost is a liitle higher up front, but if you have glass, but the boxes to use glass for the pri and you have me monthly on the ckt.. a point to point via a local carrier (clear channel) would be sweet because you control esf and b8zs and clock... those are way down in price in most areas..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

What is a clear channel? What's the proper name for the type of circuit it is?

I don't know your local situation, but you may also have alternatives to the phone company. Do you need data there also? How much bandwidth?

You could use a wireless link to carry your private T1 circuit between the two buildings; some equipment will allow Ethernet with multiple T1 circuits in the same stream.

john poole is correct, if you have fiber between the buildings, there are fiber optic converters that will allow you to put a T1 on the fiber.

Clear channel is 64 kb per channel, vs 56 kb per channel. 56 kb channels have the other 8 kb used for in-band signalling. Some telcos use the requirement for clear channel to extract additional money out of customers.

64 kb channels are required for PRI circuits.

But do I have to generate or mimic some sort of T1 signal from the 2 switches? If I'm not buying a circuit from the phone company, how do I "make" one. Assuming I had a 25 pair of copper between the 2 buildings how would I set that up to look like "trunks" between the 2 switches?
I don't want to get off on a tangent, but what would I need in my option 11 to do VOIP?

an upgrade for voip.. if two swtiches are in the same room, 2 jumpers to the right pins make a perfect t1.. you get copper between the two swiches and the switch does the rest.. no additional prompts, just make one in network and the other the user... make sure your transmit (1 2) is his rec (4 5) and the same in the other direction..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

What if I have buried cable going across the street? Is there a distance limitation for a T1 cable? Would I need CSU's?
Thanks for answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back