Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TxtBox Control Source not In form Record Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwert0000

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
Howdy,

I have a DB with 3 Main tables all linked by a SSN field. Table 1 contains "contact info" records on everyone. Table 2 has a 1 to 1 relationship with table 1 containg records only on "students". Table 3 has a 1 to many relationship containing "attendance data" on all of the students.

What I am tring to do is assign a locked textbox that shows the accumalated sum of training days for a record on my training data form. I have a sum caculated in a querry, but if I add that information to my form query the record doesnt show up in my form until I add at least 1 attendance record for that student.

I current add a blank record in the attendance table for that SSN when a new student is added, but that seems kind of ugly to me.

I would like to use an IIF statement or some vb code that basicly checks my grouped by SSN attendance query for a Days Completed record on the current SSN and returns that value to the form. IF no record is found place 0 in the txt box.

The other problem I seem to have is along the same lines. I cant seem to figure out how to call for an item from another table to be place in a report/Form.

I have created a table with information for headers and such that occasionally changes. Instead of hard codeing a label in the form/report. I would like to use this table to populate header info. I point to the Table.Field for the control source but get #name in my form. This table has 1 record with a several fields for different header information.

Thanks for any help you can give this newb!

You could try using the Nz() function in the field that calculates the training days, that way if there is no data, it will insert a zero (or any other value you specify).

You could try DLookup() for your lable fields.

Ken S.

DLookup did the trick for the lables. Just what I was looking for Thank you so much.

Still working on the NZ Function.

I used a NZ(Dlookup()) on the form to pull a sum total off a querry. It is working fine but seems slow. The rest of the form load quick the result for this text box comes in a sec or two later.

Is there a way to use a NZ function in side my record source query? I played with it for a bit but couldnt seem to make it work. Query would pull no records.

Qwert0000,
Yes, you can use it as part of an expression in your query. For instance, in a field block in the query grid, if you wanted to pull all training days and substitute a zero for all records that have a null value in that field, you would put:

Expr1: Nz(
.[Field], 0)

...where Expr1 is what you wish to name the expression field, and
.[Field] is the table and field you want to evaluate.

HTH...

Ken S.

That did the trick. I had to change the Join type (still dont understand the different types), but I got it doing what I wanted. Thanks again.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back