Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two wireless Linksys routers in cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrumd

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have two Linksys WRT54GS routers; one called "Main" connects to the Internet via the Modem and serves as the DHCP server. The other one called "DEN" has DHCP disabled and connects to "Main", wired through one on the 4 ports in "Main".
Both serve as wireless connecting points and are set to different channels. They both have different IP Adresses:
192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2
I read somewhere that both should have the same SSID but different channel, so that I could move around the house and automatically pick up the best signal. I think this is inaccurate. I have different SSID names and have to change connections if I go to the den, where the signal from "Main" is real weak.
I have not found any "official" info on "cascading routers" even though a Linksys Tech advised me to run a search on that topic and read the recommendations.
Any ideas and references would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Luis

If one has DHCP enabled and the other does not you need to set the one that does not have DHCP enabled to an address that does not overlap the DHCP range of the other. Try 192.168.2.1 for the router that has DHCP enabled, and 192.168.2.200 for the other... so they don't step on each other. Also set the DNS server and gateway addresses on the 182.168.2.200 router to be the same as the IP address of the 192.168.2.1 router. Reboot the 192.168.2.1 router, and then the other one. Finally, relog on to any PCs that are connected.

Having them both have the same SSID would make things much easier for you. Then you will be able to move around the house and your PC should switch when you lose a signal.

Dan

Thanks, Frank. "MAIN" issues addresses starting with 192.168.2.15 and "DEN" has address 192.168.2.2, so there is no conflict.
Thanks, Dan. So, it IS ok to have the same SSID name? I take it both should have different channels, correct?
Will try that.

Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back