Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Way SSL - How to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishaybas

Programmer
Dec 13, 2009
US
Hi Gurus,

I have a requirement at my company to connect to an external web service using xml over http, with Two Way SSL authentication and encryption.

I know how to use LWP to create POSTs to HTTPS web services, but the Two Way SSL part, I dont even know where to begin.

I have my private and public certificate, and I am wondering which perl module should I use and how to accomplish this connection?

Thank you

You will need to convince the "external" source to set up three ports dedicated to this project. One dedicated port to verify SSL certificates in each direction. Then an outgoing port for one direction, another port for incoming in one direction.

or
You could use SSH Tunneling and still verify SSL certificates on top of that.

or
You could insist that the only way to accomplish this is to install a private, dedicated hard line between your server and their server.

Of course, if it is possible, you could educate your "leaders" how silly this idea is.

If this is a National Security issue, go for the hard line!

More seriously, what they want can be reasonably done by making the SSL certificates (private, not with external CA's) In-House at both sides and hand carrying them to each side. A separate IP address will be needed with 2 ports though for each direction. Each port will be one way for data, two way to maintain connection, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back