Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two very big problems with Windows Xp.O.k. , 3 :) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpArGaToRu

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
RO
I have three huge problems with my Windows XP Professional OS.
Problem No.1 : The latest problem I have is that my Windows XP has stopped showing my connections in the taskbar.The "Show icon in notification area when connected" box is checked , yet I am not being shown my Internet Connection and my LAN Connection anymore.What can I do ?
Problem No.2 : Someone or somebody or something has modified my Task Manager's Properties , so now the Option "Minimize on use" has been enabled.As you might have probably guessed , I can not use my Task Manager anymore , because it automatically minimizes when I press CTRL + ALT + DEL.And when I move the mouse over its icon in the taskbar , it closes.What can I do ? I wanna kill Microsoft for adding that stupid option in the Task Manager Options Menu.
Problem No.3 : My HDD is not being detected correctly by my OS.Instead of showing me : Seagate 40 GB HDD in the Properties Window , it shows me a strange line of numbers and letters.What can I do ? The thing is , it has really decreased my system's performance.
Please help as much as u can ! Formatting and re-installing windows is not an option for me right now,though it would be the appropriate thing to do.
Thank you very much.

1) Try unchecking and rechecking the box.

3) Right click on "My Computer", click on Manage, and go down to Disk Management... the bad thing about you saying something about the name of the hard drive getting garbled is that it reminds me of a virus or some other weird thing that I had happen with a user in Windows 98 a couple of years ago... finally had to give him a Windows 2000 box and lock down his account so he couldn't install anything. Not sure if that's your problem, but a good virus scan is probably in order. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?) .

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thank you all for answering me.But I have to let you know that I had done all of those things before telling the world about my problem.Well,I don't know what happened.My Task Manager surprisingly started working even with the "Minimize on use" option checked.I unchecked it for safety.My Connection have reappeared in the systray , the same way they disappeared.Strange operating system , this Windows XP.Finally , one program (which is an antivirus) has stopped showing it's Firewall in my systray.When I try to shut it down from Task Manager , my system becomes unusable.It just hangs.If I try to run it , it tells me that : "You can not have "Name" run twice".
I don't know what to do.I should try installing and reinstalling it.That would probably solve my problem.I did also reinstall the operating system,
I have performed a very thorough virus check of my system,yet no virus has been found.
I have also performed an IN-Place Upgrade , yet my problems haven't been solved.
My main problem bow remains with the HDD.I would like to mention that it is an IBM HDD , not a Seagate one.Maybe this could help.
Thank you all 4 the help provided.Looking forward to your answers.

What is it telling you in the Event Viewer?

1) It probably got hidden. In the taskbar properties, go to hide icons (or something likt that. Switch it to show always. iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back