Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two versions of XP in same partition, need tu remove one 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRen13

Technical User
Dec 9, 2004
US
I have two versions of XP Home Edition installed in the same partition. One being corrupted the other perfectly fine and running better than ever! NoobX and bcastner have helped me resolve some issues and provided some great help and resources. Thanks again guys! Now I would like to remove the corrupt version and get on with life. I found a "tutorial" on M$ support page entitled "How to remove a second installation of a Windows operating system from a partion". The information is straight forward enough and I could easily do it. My question is how do I go about identifying the folders I want to remove since both verisons of the OS are XP Home. It appears that the newer version is using the same folders and names or least as for as I can tell. Any help on identifing the folders to remove or resources will be greatly appreciated.

Old version and newer version have different folder names, I would try to delete the old windows folder from Recovery console started under the newer windows installation.
In my experience, that's all you can delete, just the old windows folder.
Good Luck

Here is what you need to do Bren! Put in your WindowsXP disc. Boot up with your disc and let do its thing! Once you get to the beginning it will ask you if you want to repair your partitions or install windows you can do either to delete it but I would just go to repair!(system Recovery) Then it will go to a black screen asking you which partition you want to log onto and select your corrupt one! After that boots up i usually type help to get a list of commands but I recommend just typing fdisk and it will ask you some ?'s like are you sure? etc. After you are done restart the comp and your corrupt version will be gone! If you would like more detail just let me know!

Also since it is installed on 2 seperate partitions, by deleting the corrupt will not affect the other partition. They both have their own seperate folders and files. Fdisking the corrupt will completely remove just the bad partition but make sure you fdisk the correct partition b/c if you do not then you will have to reinstall all over again and that just stinks!

NoobX - I like what you have presented; however, I think there maybe some confusion. The two OS are on the same partition. There in lies my delima on how to proceed. Will this method still be practical?

bcastner - I read through the articles that you presented and I have read these as well. I beleive that is the point which I am at but just wanted to get some feedback before I proceeded.

Thanks to both of you again!

2 copies of windows XP installed on my system
thread779-846333

Working from within your good installation, if you try to delete something you shouldn't expect to receive various warnings from Windows. Make copies of anything you delete so you can restore them in case of a mistake. After a while if everything is OK you can remove the copies.

How to remove a second installation of a Windows operating system from a partition

Everybody that has helped over the past couple of days...THANKS!!! My system is back to normal except for finding my old files but NoobX has given some info on project for that and I'm confident it will be successfull. My machine has not operated correctly for a long time even before the ill-fated day, but it is blazing now! THANKS again and I plan to contribute to the site monetarily for all that it has done. I love you you all doing here and I plan to come back often and hopefully someday contribute through knowledge and experience.

Gratefully,

BRen13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back