Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two table join problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayster7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2001
US
Hi, using CR10 with an ODBC connection to an Advantage server to access a Clipper database (dbf tables). I have a Case table containing employer number (emrno) and employer division number, (emrdivno) and a Employer Division table containing the emrno, the emrdivno and then also the employer division name (emrdivname).

I am counting records in the Case file and grouping them by the Case file emrdivno. I have a left outer join from the Case file into the Employer Division file joined by the emrno and the emrdivno. In the CR Group Expert I am using a custom grouping on the Case->emrdivno but displaying the Division->emrdivname. This works well but in some instances I am getting blank group name as below.

This Period Year To Date
North Carolina 15 15
Florida 25 25
Miscellaneous 21 21
15 15

The last row will give me the counts I've summarized from the Case file but the Division name will be blank, and the name is not blank in the Division file. Has anyone had similar woes? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

JL

The path up and down is one and the same.

-Heraclitus

Hi,
Check the
employer number (emrno) and employer division number, (emrdivno)
from the Case file for those 15 and double check that a name exists for the matching emrrno/emrdivno entry in the Division table.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks Turkbear, but that doesn't seem to be it. The name 'Carolinas' does exist in the Division->emrdivname field. The corresponding emrdivno in both files is '006'. I've put the Case->emrdivno field onto the report just for audit purposes and the '006' shows for the Case->emrdivno, but the blank field, when highlighted', says it's the Division->emrdivname, although the field is clearly populated. Maybe I'm not joining correclty?

The path up and down is one and the same.

-Heraclitus

Hi,
But, is there BOTH the emrdivno AND an emrrno ? You are asking the Division table to return values ONLY where BOTH the values exist for a given record.

If Not, just join ( left outer) on the emrdivno.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back