Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two SMTP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblaine

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I have a win2000 domain xyz.com for marketing purpose. Exchange2000 is installed and working. I have 25 users having thir mail accounts in this like 1@xyz.com, 2@xyz.com etc.They send and receive mails.

Now we have another domain abc.com for production purpose. This is also win2000 no exchange. Now all the 25 users above should able to send and receive their mails using this domain too. That is they should have mail accounts as 1@abc.com, 2@abc.com,in the same exchange server of xyz.com and send and receive mails. How is it possible.

Please suggest me how can i do this, and i am in trouble now.

Any more queries please intimate.

regards,
dblaine

You need two things to do this.

First, the MX record for abc.com should point to the same place as xyz.com

Second, You need to add another email address in the users account. You can easily do this for everyone by adding the new address "@abc.com" in recipient policy.

What you set as the "primary" email address will be the one that the recipient sees.

FRCP

Note that dblaine said that the abc.com users are in a different AD, so it's not merely a matter of adding more email addresses.

If you don't have a cross-forest trust, I'd create another locked-down OU for the abc.com folks on the xyz.com AD and create a user account for each abc.com user in that OU. Then I would set all of the email addresses for those users to be the bill@abc.com addresses.

One useful option might be (depending on the relationship between the marketing and production groups and their budgets) to give them POP3 access to the server so that rather than having to host all of their mail, you are just handling the transport portion of their mail for them and their connections to your server will be the sort that open and then close, not constantly open connections that are more likely to require extra licensing like MAPI would use.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back