Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Servers that don't talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

enak

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
I have 2 servers. One is a Domain Controller (AD), the other is just a server(no AD). From the plain server I can see the domain controller but from the domain controller I can't see the plain server.

This makes it very hard to do backups.

I know that this is not very much info but can someone tell me how to get the two talking so that I can see the plain server from the domain controller?

TIA
enak

I don't know if this helps but I am using DHCP and the plain server does show up in the address leases.

Yeah, ok that is propably the problem, it is not registered in the computer in the active directory users either. what you need to do, is join the domain again and see if that works, but before doing that try and renew the ip address.

What I did was join a workgroup, I deleted the client IP address lease and then I tried to re join the domain. When I do this I get an error message: "The credential supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials"

I can not join the domain.

Help!!!

Enak - simple solution to joining the domain. Before you log the computer on, REMOVE the network cable from the NIC. Log on locally, then reconnect the network cable and rejoin the domain.

HTH

Stussy

In fact here's what I gave someone else:

I've had this exact error before, it drove me nuts. The solution was to REMOVE the network cable, then log on to the computer locally i.e.

User
PC1 (This computer)

Once you have logged on and are at the desktop, reconnect the cable and add the computer to the domain as usual. Worked for me 100% on about 15 PC's.

You were in one problem and now you are in another, yeah try what stussy said. If it didnt work, go to directory users and computers and then clik on computers and see if the memeber server name is there. let me know what you get!!
Joe

I can join the domain now but I still can't see the plain server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back