Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Server with same client

Status
Not open for further replies.

snalwala

Programmer
Jul 16, 2001
AE
I want my SQL server to be set up like this.

Two separate NT Server onwhose SQL server is installed. Now the clients (on which VB Application is running connected to SQL Server) are making transactions to this server. I want to have a separate server so that if the first server gets down automatically the second server should start running and all the transactions should be switched to the second server. This means that all the transactions should update both the servers. But at a time only one should be running thru client.

Pls suggest something...its very urgetn for me

Look online for Microsoft Cluster Server.

One piece of advice: It isn't cheap. You must be running Windows 2000 Advanced Server on both machines, and SQL Server Enterprise (two copies), and they must share a drive array (usually connected via SCSI or Fibre Channel).

We had one at my last job -- hardware (Compaq) alone was $12,000. With software it was over $20,000. But... it never went down. We would get occasional fail-overs due to network glitches, but the DB service was always available (your app must handle the 30-seconds it takes to failover).

Be careful what additional software you install on it -- everything must be MS Cluster Server certified. You usually get this from your server vendor (IBM, HP, Compaq, etc) as sometimes there are machine-specific extensions needed.

Chip H.

thanks chiph ,
I have installed Oracle 9i with cluster. But this time I want it without cluster since in cluster both the Server has same IP. While in my case I have different IP for Both the servers. Since the clients are TCP/IP connectivity to Server, it becomes very difficult if both the servers has differenct IP. But just to ask if someone has got any ideas how to do it ??? pls help.

Thanks once again chiph, ne idea regarding this ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back