Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

two separate RAID sets stacked up logically under one drive letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFunkyChief

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2004
US
Here's my situation.

We currently have two 300GB SCSI320 drives (RAID 1) for our Graphics files. Typical files are around 200MB (30x42" posters, etc), and can get much larger very easily.

We also have five 74GB SCSI320 drives (RAID 5) for our architecture files. Lots of read/writes, but file sizes are very small, 5MB and under.

I chose the above config because the large files were significantly slower on the RAID5 setup than the RAID1. The small architecture files had fast access on either setup, so I chose the RAID5 for them for better redundancy.

Now we'd like to combine these files (logically) into one folder.

So we'll have a folder for the project, then under it a folder for Graphics and a folder for Architecture.

Obviously combining the files onto one physical disk would accomplish this, but performance will suffer tremendously.

How can I have two separate RAID sets stacked up logically under one drive letter? I can't see how it's possible, but I'm sure it is in some way.

Thanks in advance!!

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

In the old MSDOS time there was an APPEND command ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I think I've found the answer (with help here of course).

DFS will work for what I'm trying to do...but I'll need to move to Windows 2003 SBS R2 in order to do this. 2003 Server SP1's version of DFS does not allow me to create new empty folders (with no targets), while R2 will.

Thanks for the help!

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back