Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two RAID arays on an xSeries 226 - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldBuilder

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2007
US
Hello.

I have an IBM xSeries 226 server with the U320 controller. From the research I've gathered, it seems as though the controller IS dual channel (AIC-7902). I have (4) IBM 36.4GB HDD's in a RAID10 configuration. This is for my OS installation.

What I would like to do is add (2) more 300GB HDD's and place them in a separate RAID0 configuration so I can have one giant 600GB drive. To test (before I buy the (2) 300GB drives), I have (2) more 36.4GB drives in there, but I cannot seem to turn them into a separate RAID0 because they are on the same channel as the (4) in the RAID10.

So currently I have the RAID10 Array and two more singular drives. Basically, what I want to do is place the last two drives on channel B, not channel A. I cannot figure out how to do this, though. How do I put drives on channel B? Am I missing a part of some kind? Please let me know what I need to do to make this work. Thanks!

If more info is need, please let me know. Thanks a million!

Chris

Yes more then likely you do have a dual channel card. BUT you only have a single channel backplane. Other words all your drives will be on the same channel. There is no way to split the backplane because it is a single channel backplane.

You would just have to create another raid array on the same channel as the other drives.

Thank you for the post. Single channel backplane, got it. You say I would just have to create another raid array on the same channel. I can't seem to do that, however... Could you tell me how, assuming it's possible, please? Thanks!

Oh, and... I've read in my documentation that I can add an external SCSI connector which would enable channel B and put it's connector in the back. Do you, by any chance know what part I will need from IBM to do that? I( like their products but their website is terrible and I can't for the life of me figure out what I need...

Many thanks,

Chris

You need the serv raid manager CD. If you already have an OS get the application CD. If it is new setup get the support CD.

Search for serv-raid on the website.

I will search around, thanks! One thing, though, while I'm looking... Why do I need this CD now even though I did not need it to create the original array? Seems odd.

Thanks!

Chris

How did you create the original array and what raid controller are you using?

It's built-in, I think it's an Adaptec AIC-7902. I built the array by going into the SCSISelect Utility screen (hitting CTRL+A on boot). But it won't allow me to create a second array!

OK, I'm in the utility now. All six dives in the server now are on AIC-7902 B.

Not AIC-7902 A. There are no drives found on "A". When I go into "Configure/View HostRAID setting" on "B", I see my Stripe/Mirror Array called Atlas. It is at 73GB and "optimal". It's 72GB because it's four 36.4 drives in a RAID 10. Two drives are striped then mirrored to two other drives.

I also see, in that same location, two more drives, ID's 4 & 5. They are 36GB each and their status is "free".

I cannot do anything to change any of these settings, however. The only option at the top of the screen that's available to me is "Spare".

You have reach the limit of that controller. It will only do 1 raid 10 or raid 1.

Ah, OK.

Would the controller allow me to eliminate two of the drives in the RAID 10 array and make the remaining two a RAID 1 only, then also allow me to take two 300GB drives and place them in a separate RAID 0?

Would it let me do that?

Thanks!

One final thing if you please. Regarding my post immediately above, I actually tried to kill all current configurations and try to build what I describe above. Like I said, I'm in testing right now and don't care if everything gets wiped. But I can't even seem to delete anything or alter my configuration in any way. Huh?! Thanks for all your help!

Not sure exactly how that controller will work but you want to look for either a restore to defaults or in managed arrays delete the array.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, two days ago I finally got it all worked out with the ServerGuide 7.4.16 Support CD, I was able to do everything I needed to.

I find it odd that you cannot do in regular HostRAID what you can with the support CD.

I was able to build a RAID 1 and then a separate RAID 0 when booting from that CD.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back