Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two questions about my Windows 2008 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyislandmaggie

Technical User
Oct 30, 2012
US
Howdy Howdy,

1) Windows 7 machines on our Windows 2008 server network do not see our file server unless I map the drive manually (e.g. start-->run--> I type in \\servername\, then right clicking on the shared folder, and selecting "Map Network Drive.") It seems like I should be able to see the file server when I go into explorer\network and view the machines on the network, so that I can navigate to the folder I want to get to, and mapping it that way. Is there a setting on the Windows 7 machines, or on the server that I need to make? I've inherited this network from a previous IT person, so I'm not sure the evolution of how the machines have been set up.

2) Someone just gave us a Dell PowerEdge dual processor server that has Windows 2003 server on it. We have a network user who I think might benefit from using a dual processor (she uses ArcGIS) and I was wondering if it's better to just leave Windows 2003 on the machine but let her use it as a desktop (are there any negative implications to having a sever on your network that isn't actually acting as a server), or if I should install Windows 7 on the machine - and if I do that, has anyone had any problems installing Windows 7 on a dual processor machine.

Many thanks!
Maggie

On the Windows 7 machines is network discovery enabled? That is under Network and Sharing Center and advanced sharing properties.
As far as the server goes I would recommend installing a desktop OS for simplicity. It could be used as it sets but you would want to ensure it isn't running DHCP, DNS or any DC roles.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back