Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two questions about Google's AdWords

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE4MAN

Technical User
Mar 17, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about AdWords that maybe you guys can help out with...

I am wondering how Google can determine a user's physical location when displaying ad results that are targeted according to the radius an advertiser selects when placing these ads? I'm guessing it's by IP address? Does Google have a directory of IP addresses and their associated physical locations? I'm trying to explain to a client how using AdWords might help increase *local* Internet traffic to his site and how this process actually works. I get the jist of it, but it would be nice to know a little more *technically* how this works.

Also, would placing ads with AdWords help increase PR at all? Obviously it increases exposure by being returned as a result in the "sponsored links", but aside from that, does it help increase PR in and of itself? Is it considered a backlink to the Google search engine?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave Fore

yes Google use IPs for geo-targeting and IP to Country

PR means NOTHING in the overall scheme of things. AdWords do not count as backlinks with any engine simply because they cannot read them. The Adsense ads are put onto pages with javascript which the SEs don't/can't read.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back